Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Waste of Democracy

On this blog I try to only post about things directly relevant to monarchy, with occasional excursions into tradition. But elsewhere on the Net I do sometimes post about the contemporary political scene.

I am very disgruntled by the options Americans are being presented with this November, and to make matters worse, most members of the party I'm registered with (I can't truly call it mine any longer) don't seem to see any trouble with our offerings. I've already made a few posts about what's wrong with our candidates and gotten a pile of angry responses, many containing factual errors which they should have checked up on. In a way, I understand; since we're going to be saddled with one option or the other, it's only human to try to convince oneself that at least one of the options is a good one. It's hard to get on with getting your job done and the dishes washed and everything else when you're convinced that disaster is looming (which I am). (Not that things are any more disastrous than they've been for the last several decades.)

So today I was thinking about some more points I would like to make in future posts, and realized that I probably won't have the time and energy to support my points as thoroughly as I would prefer, as I have a lot of work over the next couple of weeks. Indeed, just thinking about it, and doing the research online and in various print publications, and the stress of some of the nastier comments, has me feeling tired.

Similarly, most publications, TV shows, and blogs are currently full of dirt on and dissection of the various candidates, just as they are before every election.

It occurs to me that the democratic process is an enormous waste of time, energy and money.

Suppose this were a monarchical country. Most likely we would have been hearing everything about the king since the day he was born. In other words, we would already know our ruler well, instead of having to get to know a new set of people every two years. And rely on the journalists to do a fair and competent job of finding out everything about him and relaying the information to us. And we have to read the opposing reports, figure out whose word to trust, argue about it with half the people we know, and decide who would be the best choice. That's not even mentioning the huge amounts of effort politicians put into campaigning and journalists put into following them around, etc. etc.

Just imagine if all that time, energy and money were being put into constructive pursuits.

No comments: