Monday, October 20, 2008

"U" and "non-U" English

An Intact Sense for Class Distinction Helps to Keep the Language Precise and Beautiful

There are, of course, other class indicators, for example at what time of the day one has what kind of meal, what clothes one wears, houses -- where and how, and whether one likes the late Princess Diana or not. The latter, in fact, managed to draw a sharply defined line between the middle classes, who adored Diana because she displayed ad nauseam all the maudlin and phoney values of which the middle classes are so fond, and the upper-classes, who hated her because she was, as "Private Eye" put it in a meanwhile removed article, "a neurotic, irresponsible and manipulative troublemaker who had repeatedly meddled in political matters that did not concern her and personally embarrassed Her Majesty The Queen by her Mediterranean love-romps with the son of a discredited Egyptian businessman".


Fair warning: there is some profanity in this post. Also some rather mild sneers at American speech, but we can take it. Besides which, much as I love my country, I will readily admit that our accents are terrible.

8 comments:

The_Editrix said...

First of all: Thank you for linking to my post!

Fair warning: there is some profanity in this post. Also some rather mild sneers at American speech, but we can take it.

Don't fret, my sneers at my own people are much less mild. I like and admire America or I wouldn't (constructively) criticize it.

That said, don't you think you can get over that frightfully lower middle class American dread of "profanity"? ;-)

THAT said, never forget that I am a provocateur and a deliberate pain in the lower body parts. (How am I doing at politically correct American speech?)

It's me, The Evil Style Queen, I just couldn't be bothered to switch IDs. And now I will have a second look at your interesting blog.

Moshea bat Abraham said...

Greetings!

That said, don't you think you can get over that frightfully lower middle class American dread of "profanity"? ;-)

Actually, I didn't mind a bit. And I thought of that angle while I was writing the warning. I put in the warning because I know that many of the monarchists who follow my blog are very religious Catholics, who I know are weary of the constant profanity seen in today's movies, etc.

The_Editrix said...

Honestly, I was joking. I am, in fact, currently in the process of toning down my language because I realize that there are certain expletives that don't befit a woman past middle age who considers herself a conservative.

I read some more at your blog and I'm intrigued. According to your definition I ought to be a paleomonarchist when I thought I wasn't a monarchist at all. I agree with you to a "T" about Mrs. Simpson and Princess Diana and I commented at your "Royalty over Politicians" entry to that effect.

Keep up the good work and I will be back!

Moshea bat Abraham said...

Excellent, I look forward to seeing you here again! I hope you've followed my links to the articles about Princess Diana by Florence King and Theodore Dalrymple. You will no doubt find them gratifying. Also, based on what I've read of your blogs so far, I have a suspicion that you will enjoy Florence King's work....

The_Editrix said...

I think I have hit a gold mine when I discovered your blog and thank you for your excellent comments at "Roncesvalles". Replies are in the pipeline as is a major post on the concept of monarchy.

It is considered alright to use a cliché like "pleased to meet you" when one really means it, and I do. So: Pleased to meet you, Moshea! :-)

Nora

Moshea bat Abraham said...

*blush* Pleased to meet you, Nora! I've only been following "Evil Style Queen" for a short time, but I've already added your other blogs to my reader. And I look forward to your post on monarchy!

Mild Colonial Boy, Esq. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mild Colonial Boy, Esq. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.