Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcome, new bloggers!

New to me, anyway. I've tried to include the ones I added a few weeks ago.

The Mad Monarchist

Of Jacobins and Girondins

Not in Front of the Servants

Famille Princière de Monaco

Cooking the Book by the Tudor Cook

International Monarchism

Nottlesby's Notebook

Royal & Co.

The Count's Blog

Tom's Monarchy Blog


I haven't been posting so much lately, I know. I feel like I'm letting the side down. If anyone misses the monarchy articles I used to link almost daily, I'll let you in on the secret: sign up for a Google Alert for "monarchy", it's what I did. But then RL intruded and I didn't have time to keep that up on a daily basis.

Besides which, it depressed me too much, knowing about it every single time another royal house fell.

But I've for a while been planning something else which hopefully will be even more interesting, and highly educational for Americans. I'm going to write a series of essays about how each country in the world changed from a monarchy to a republic. I know, of course, how it happened here, and in Russia, but what about the rest of the world? Most of my fellow Americans, I have discovered, assume that it just happened naturally and inevitably, just like if you give a monkey a few million years, it will naturally and inevitably shed its hair, rear up onto its hind legs, and invent the airplane. The concept of evolution has infected how we think about everything, even though the smartest scientists will try to point out that (assuming the theory of evolution is true) nature didn't set out to create an ever more perfect animal, culminating in the human race. If the theory is true, then we're just the jury-rigged ape that managed not to die off. Similarly, forms of government are not ever "evolving" into a more and more perfect form, culminating in the triumph of egalitarian democracy. Just because one organization turned into something else does not mean the new one is superior, or that the transformation was inevitable.

In any case, my research so far is indicating that the slow, civilized shift in England from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy is far from usual. (Most non-monarchists do not realize that every time the English Crown lost power, it was brought about by a war, if only indirectly as in the case of the World Wars. They think it happened as a matter of course, like the way that waves will gradually wear away at rocks on the beach.) It seems that in addition to killing millions of people, the twin evils of fascism and communism are the chief culprits in destroying monarchy.

By the way, links to good information sources on this subject would be appreciated. Any country in the world is welcome.

6 comments:

radical royalist said...

What an excellent idea to write essays about how countries lost their monarchies. May I suggest a second series: Write as well on efforts to bring back a crowned head of state.
People usually don't realize that France has had republican regimes since 1871, but still today an essential part of the population are monarchists and royalists: Up to 20 percent.
Italy is full of Monarchist organisations and Germany has some as well, although the Kaiser went into exile in 1918. In Austria Monarchists planned to take part in last year's national elections. I could continue with examples in Africa and Asia, but I am sure you are aware of them.

Moshea bat Abraham said...

Many of them, yes. Your comment heartened me, however. Most Americans, naturally, just take it for granted that the age of monarchy is over, and my monarchism is so unusual that people laugh instead of getting mad at me. It's good to have it confirmed that the rest of the world is still more in touch with tradition.

ZAROVE said...

My dear Moshea, I too must award you with praise for this undertaking!


I myself have set out to argue for Monarchy in a book I am writing! I have a 30 page draft, not very good, already written, if you'd like to see it.

It compliments your work I think, though the draft merley mentions why I oppose Thomas Paines Republicanism.

That said, I too have noticed the trend that people just assume things went form Privative tribes, to Monarchy, to Democracy, as if this was a natural, inevitable step. Its annoying because they don't realise that Nations didn't all go Republican independently, and the American, French, and later Russian Revolutions where largely inspired by Locke and the Enlightenment, and then by international pressures. (Do we really think the UN and US don't push for nations to become more Democratic?)

The idea of a lenier progression with a fixed outciome of perfection seems etched in peopels minds. (Even the Atiest neitche had htis.) Its one reason I think God exists. Why else have this?

Nevertheless, the current trend in Republicanism need not have occurred, and to be perfectly in line with History, those how think Republicanism (And Democracy nowadays) are more advanced forms of Government and Monarchy is outdated, history shows otherwise. Republics and Democracies are Ancient. In fact, they usually become Monarchies in the end after they fail, and the Monarchies tend to last a lot longer.

I'll eagerly await your end product, if I may.

MadMonarchist said...

When any of my American brethren decry me as insane for supporting monarchist I honestly reply that "I don't suffer from insanity -I enjoy every minute of it!" The essays sound like a good idea. I have always found it helpful to point out that the ending of monarchies has invariably made the countries in question worse. Tsar of Russia - Soviet Union, German Kaiser - chaos and then Hitler, King of France - The Terror, Emperor of China - warlords, civil war, Mao and so on and so forth.

Thomas Banks said...

I am very happy to have found this blog. I am a fellow monarchist, an American, and despise anyone who ever cracked a crown. I think and hope that we all live to see night fall on egalitarianism.

"Duce tempus eget."

Yours,

Thomas Banks

Moshea bat Abraham said...

Mr. Banks,

Welcome to my blog, and thank you for your kind words!